Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Primed Boards

Recently I spent some time prepping some masonite boards as a suitable ground for painting with a new wallet-friendly primer I picked up. I was a little nervous about the results of this material... would it hold the paint? would it work with both acrylic and oil? Well, the results are in... and this painter is satisfied! Today I spent almost a solid 8 hours in the "painting zone" and am very happy with the way things are turning out. I'll be sure to post more information about the work that comes from my next couple sessions as I plan to finish a piece here within the next couple days pending on how much time I can throw at it.

Another thing I would like to mention is the list of books I've found at the local library:
1. Portraits from Life in 29 Steps - John Howard Sanden
2. Encyclopaedia of Oil Painting - Frederick Palmer
3. The Fine Artist's Career Guide - Daniel Grant
4. Letters to a Young Artist - Anna Deavere Smith

There were a total of 10 that I walked out of the library with on my initial visit to the oil painting section, but 6 of them didn't make the first cut and were returned shortly after. The first book on the list above has great step-by-step information and pictures showing the process of painting portraits in a single session; I have been searching for a book like this for what seems like AGES! Who'd have known that there it was, printed in 1999, waiting for me at the library here in Arizona. Anyways, book #2 is a nice reference guide that I haven't cracked into much but thought it useful to keep around for a little while. The same would apply for #3. The thing that sells me on this title is the table of contents. It would seem that a lot of the chapters hold some valuable information that I would like to read about, we'll see. The book standing out the most to me is #4 "Letters to a Young Artist." Anna writes in a way that keeps you wanting more. She is a playwright and actress writing to young, up-and-coming artist about the trials and tribulations experienced first-hand through her incredible journey on the creative path. I could write about all the amazing things that I have read so far (not even half way into the book yet!), but it wouldn't do justice to the amazing influence this little sucker packs! If you are an artist and want to read a nice book about being an artist... get this! Total gem!

On another note, I just watched Atonement. Visually beautiful, and a great storyline. Get this as well. You might even be able to get it for free at the library while you're checking out one of the books i mentioned, I DID! :) Turns out the library here is my new favorite place supplying me with all these amazing things. Go get your library cards kids!

No comments: